Although I posted a recipe last week, I couldn’t pass this one up. I discovered it from paleOMG.com which has some awesome healthy recipes! It is a MUST to make especially for people like me who have a really hard time finding something healthy to snack on while on the go. By eating one it can boost your resting metabolic rate and your metabolism because of the coconut oil and coconut palm sugar!
A few of the ingredients are a little hard to find and the unusual things can sure be found at Whole Foods and the coconut oil and flaxseed meal can be found at Trader Joe’s.
1 large sweet potato – cut in half
1 banana peeled
2 chai tea bags – no sugar added
1/3 cup of pecans
1/3 cup of flaxseed meal
1/3 cup of coconut oil – melted
3 tablespoons of sweetener – I used coconut palm sugar but can also use a liquid form
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
1 teaspoon of baking powder
½ teaspoon of cinnamon
¼ teaspoon of baking soda
Pinch of salt
3-4 tablespoons of coconut crystals (optional- just to sprinkle on top of muffins)
1. Preheat oven to 405 degrees. Take half of the sweet potato and remove the skin, then cut into smaller pieces and place on a baking sheet. Drizzle a little bit of olive oil on them to keep them from drying out. Bake for 20-25 minutes until they are really soft.
2. Once the sweet potato is done, reduce the oven temperature to 375 degrees.
3.Place the sweet potato and peeled banana into a food processor (blender) and puree until smooth. Add chai tea (empty out of the bags), pecans, flaxseed meal, baking soda, salt, baking powder and cinnamon. Puree again until completely broken down and smooth.
4. Add the wet ingredients: coconut oil, eggs, coconut palm sugar (or coconut nectar), and vanilla extract. *I had a hard time getting the dry ingredients to puree so in case that happens just add the wet ingredients all together after blending the sweet potato and banana.
5. Spray muffin pan with Pam or line with paper.
6. Use an ice cream scoop to keep equal size between muffins.
7. Sprinkle each muffin with a little bit of coconut crystals.
8. Bake muffins for 25-30 minutes or until you poke them with a toothpick and it comes out clean. *makes 12 muffins
Follow me @nicole_lawley on Twitter!