Bobotie is a South African dish that my mom has made for as long as I can remember. It is one of my favorite dishes to make so I had to share! I also love making it because it lasts for several days to eat as leftovers for the days that I am busy.
1 lb ground meat 11/2 tbsp coconut palm sugar
1 onion chopped 1 tsp salt
1 slice bread 1/2 tsp pepper
1 cup of milk 1/2 tsp tumeric
2 eggs 2 tbsp lemon juice
1 tbsp curry powder 4 bay leaves
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Cook the meat.
3. Simmer the onions in olive oil until tender. (Or you can use dried onions mix with meat when the meat is cooked).
4. Soak bread in the milk. Squeeze the milk out of the bread and crumble the bread into a bowl.
5. Combine all the other ingredients (including the bread) except for 1 egg,1/2 cup milk (only use ½ cup of milk here and save the other half) and the bay leaves.
6. Put all ingredients into a greased dish and add the bay leaves – poke them into the mixture. Bake at 350 for 25 mins.
7. While this is baking, add the other ½ of milk to the remaining egg and beat with a fork and pour over the meat mixture after it has baked for 25 mins. Then bake another 20 mins after pouring the egg over the top.
Comment below and let me know how you liked it!